Project Coordinator sought for Nazareth Farm, a Catholic volunteer community serving those in rural West Virginia by providing home repair and leading high school and college volunteers in the service work.
The ideal candidate:
- has experience and licensing in construction – especially roofing, interior repair, ramps;
- has experience and a desire to work with high school and college students;
- has experience and willingness to train staff and volunteers on home repair skills;
- is an active Catholic who is committed to living out her or his faith through action and contemplation;
- has an openness to prayer, simplicity, and living in community.
Room, board, salary, and benefits provided. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. This position is currently open.
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please put “Project Coordinator Search” in the subject line. For more information on our mission and for a complete job description, visit: www.nazarethfarm.org/projectcoordinator/.
Nazareth Farm is a Catholic community in rural West Virginia that transforms lives through a service retreat experience. We are devoted to living out the Gospel message through the cornerstones of community, simplicity, prayer and service. We serve alongside our neighbors to address sub-standard housing by providing home repair. We celebrate the richness of Appalachia and experience God through building relationships between our volunteers and the local community.
Under the general direction and in collaboration with the Director, the Project Coordinator is responsible for staff development and worksite coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses home repair project requests with the Director
- Recommends and prioritizes projects based on need and ability
- Creates written plans and diagrams for selected projects including estimated costs, time, labor, and equipment needed for project completion
- Instructs Nazareth Farm volunteer staff on skills and techniques for leading home repair work-sites
- Monitors work sites through close contact with Nazareth Farm work site coordinators and homeowners/families
- Ensures that high school and college volunteers are properly trained and given safety instructions
Nazareth Farm Property Maintenance
- In conjunction with the Director, oversees property maintenance of Nazareth Farm buildings and grounds including day-to-day repairs, long-term planning, and safety needs
- Sets priorities and deadlines for completion of Farm projects in a timely manner
- Researches and purchases new tools and hardware (or solicits donors for these)
- Oversees maintenance and repair of Farm tools and hardware
Materials & Supplies
- Purchases and orders all materials and supplies for home repair projects
- Oversees the efficient use of materials and supplies
- Maintains accurate inventory of project supplies so that clients can be billed
- Processes receipts for project and farm improvement supplies
- Creates and delivers bills for homeowners
- Administers proper safety standards through orientations for volunteers, staff, and homeowners at the Farm and at all work-sites
- Maintains documentation related to work-sites
- Performs other construction administration tasks as assigned by the Director
Community and Public Relations
- Maintains a good relationship with the Project Consultant, a local person who can advise on difficult construction matters
- Works closely with the Director
- Communicates with home owners on their project application, timeline, and any concerns
- Is the contact person for local social service agencies requesting home repair help and maintains positive relationship with agency staff
- Upholds standards and values as described in “Responsibilities of Community Members” in the Community Handbook
- Two years construction experience with a working knowledge of basic home building skills including framing, roofing, drywall, porches/ramps, and trim work.
- Skill with plumbing, electrical, or related field is a plus but not required
- Ability to effectively teach staff and volunteers with different learning styles
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Proficiency with Office Suite and computers
- Knowledge of Sketch-Up (or something similar) and QuickBooks is a plus
- Open to collaborative ministry with volunteers and the people of the area
- A person of faith open to the Catholic tradition, experienced in youth/young adult ministry
- Working knowledge and belief in Catholic social teachings
- Openness to prayer, simplicity, and living in community
- Minimum of a two-year commitment